Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hero List

I expect to soon hear reports about the new Alice Notley offering,--Alma, or the Dead Women, from Granary. The poems sounded great when she read here last Spring. Sadly, it will probably be a month before I can get to it.

Other books on the horizon that I'm happy about:

1)Eshelman's The Complete Poems (Bilingual!), Cesar Vallejo, from UC Press. Another $50 book, like the Berrigan, but it's $50 of the poet who--as well as anyone else--dispenses with notion that linguistic experimentation and personality are somehow at odds. Tactical subjectivity--little Spains and Parises and Perus everywhere. And it will help me recover some of my Spanish. When I reach for it now, all I find is French.

2) Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon. They were calling this Untitled Thomas Pynchon for awhile, and the page count keeps gets a little higher each time I look at the Amazon page. Pynchon's auto-blurb strikes me as a bit hokey, ditto the title, but as far as I'm concerned he's where the American imagination goes when it gets tired of fucking around. There's probably no living writer to whom I owe more.


-----------------------

Here's the totally amazing reading schedule for the Holloway series at UC Berkeley:

AUTUMN 2006 SEASON IN POETRY


Thursday Sept. 27th @ 7:30pm - Reception to Follow
HOLLOWAY POET - LISA ROBERTSON


Thursday Oct. 12th @ 6:30pm
CLAUDIA RANKINE



Wednesday Oct. 25th @ 6:30pm
FANNY HOWE


Thursday Nov. 16th @ 6:30pm
HERIBERTO YEPEZ


Wednesday Nov. 29th @ 6:30pm
Bob Perelman

__________________________________________________________________________

I read with Karen Anderson, Anne Boyer, Jordan Davis & Co. and Karl Parker at Knox College (Galesburg, IL) on Oct. 13th and 14th. Info here

I'm told that Galesburg is basically close to nowhere that is not itself nowhere near itself, or something like that, but you should come out if you can. It promises to be a good time.

No comments: